Nov. 3-5, 1863 - Mudwall Jackson anticipates Averell; Battle of Mill Point; Union Camp before Droop Mountain
Nov. 3-5, 1863
"Mudwall" Jackson anticipates Averell's Raid
Hillsboro, West[ern] Virginia, Pocahontas County
* Far from home and completely out of context: I wasn't looking for this sign when I was tracing The First Campaign in West Virginia (2024) - and I can't even read it, but here we are. My own trip was also characterized by rumors of Averell's Raid. I hope to return for more....but one year at a time.
* I stopped short of Droop Mountain because I was in unfamiliar territory and running out of daylight, but this is some of the farthest-from-home I have ever driven to. Actually, the map tells me this is even further West than Buckhannon, WV, which I thought was the winner. But no, my point furthest West is actually here: the Union camp at the Pearl S. Buck house - not quite Droop Mt.
![]() |
| https://www.hmdb.org/m.asp?m=34333 |
William L. "Mudwall" Jackson
19th & 20th Virginia Cavalry C.S.A.
—November 3-5, 1863—
William L. "Mudwall" Jackson and the main body of the 19th Virginia Cavalry were in camp near Mill Point on November 3, 1863, when they received a message from Lt. George W. Siple, a Pocahontas County native in Capt. William L. McNeel's Company F, 19th Virginia, concerning a confrontation with Gen. William W. Averell near Green Bank.
Rumors abounded that Averell was planning to strike Lewisburg. Col. Jackson sent messages to Col. William W. Arnett, 20th Virginia Cavalry at Marlins Bottom; General John Echols at Lewisburg; Capt. Jacob W. Marshall, Company I, 19th Virginia Cavalry at Edray; and Lt. Col. William P. Thompson, 19th Virginia Cavalry, to proceed toward the Lewisburg and Beaver Lick Pike.
![]() |
| https://www.hmdb.org/m.asp?m=159701 |
Close to, but not quite, Droop Mountain - see it in the distance? Pearl S. Buck lived here. And her ancestors witnessed the war.
![]() |
| https://www.hmdb.org/m.asp?m=34143 |
![]() |
| https://www.hmdb.org/m.asp?m=59356 |
Union Camp
Prelude to Battle of Droop Mountain
![]() |
| Not in China. |
And here's where I spent the night in Dailey, WV. A previous marker on the Jones-Imboden Raid of 1861 mentions that here in Dailey is where Imboden divided his column before attacking Beverly, just a few miles North.










Comments
Post a Comment