Jan. 1862 - Camp Northwest established; clashes at Greenbrier Bridge and Huntersville
Jan. 1862
Camp Northwest established
near Huntersville, WV
* Something special for me personally here: the farthest I have ever travelled for a Civil War marker - so far!. Ironically, considering the camp's name, this is the point furthest south in West Virginia I have ever driven to - 280 miles from home. Staring at this distant, isolated point on the map, I wasn't sure I would be able to make it in the time I had. But spending a night outside Beverly made it possible, and I was still able to drive home the next night. Perhaps it should go without saying, but WV is easier to visit in summer!
* See also "September 12–15, 1861 - Battle of Cheat Mountain / Camp Elkwater" for when Loring had his basecamp just north of here in late summer of 1861
![]() |
| https://www.hmdb.org/m.asp?m=58226 |
Camp Northwest
Jackson’s Huntersville Line
Huntersville (three miles northwest of here) in January 1862. Camp Northwest became Confederate Col. William L. Jackson’s headquarters and a supply depot for the outposts under Jackson’s command. Called the Huntersville line, it stretched from the northern end of Pocahontas County to the southern end. On August 23, 1863 Union Gen. William W. Averell’s forces captured and burned Camp Northwest prior to his march toward Lewisburg and his defeat at the Battle of Dry Creek at White Sulphur Springs. In his official report, Averell wrote. “Camp Northwest was burned and destroyed, with commissary buildings and stores, blacksmith shops, several wagons, a number of Enfield rifles, gun equipments, and a quantity of wheat and flour at a mill near by. A large number of canteens, stretchers, and hospital supplies fell into our hands.” Jackson soon reoccupied the area, where he remained until ordered to the Shenandoah Valley in 1864.
Early in June 1865, one of the last encounters between armed Federal and Confederate forces occurred a short distance southeast of here. A Federal cavalry detachment had ridden into Pocahontas County from Clarksburg to reclaim any Federal property they might find, to make sure there were no Confederate forces still active, and to parole all who laid down their arms. The Federal cavalry ran headlong into several Confederate cavalrymen, formerly of Col. William L. Jackson’s command, who had learned of Gen. Robert E. Lee’s surrender of the Army of Northern Virginia and all other forces under his command. After a brief clash, the Confederates abandoned their horses and escaped by fleeing up the hillsides and through the dense woods.
Lee was here briefly before heading north for the Romney Campaign.
![]() |
| https://www.hmdb.org/m.asp?m=34196 |
I'm so glad that I stretched the limit of my daylight and gas supply to make it all the way down to Huntersville. Because then I unexpectedly got to see this, AKA The Huntersville Arch:
![]() |
| https://www.hmdb.org/m.asp?m=179229 |
![]() |
| The marker and new bridge in Marlinton, WV - county seat of Pocahontas County |














Comments
Post a Comment